• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right type of lawyer for med student?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lambeauleap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
FL

I will be applying for medical school soon and part of the process involves a background check. I've had a few brushes with the law a few years back and would like to find out the best way to navigate this minefield. Although my offenses are eligible for expungement, secondary applications for schools often ask about all arrests. Please spare the comments regarding the legality of this, it's just a fact of the process. I'd like to be able to know how to answer questions like this, as well as other ones that dance on a thin lines of ambiguity.

When talking with advisers or peers about this, the general solution is to speak to a lawyer. Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to point me towards what type of lawyer. Since I'm essentially looking to get "hired" by a school, I figured maybe employment was the best place to start.

Thanks all!

ecmst12

Same answer for a student or employee - answer all questions honestly and you won't have to worry about being caught lying.

lambeauleap

Same answer for a student or employee - answer all questions honestly and you won't have to worry about being caught lying.
This is such an easy answer when you have nothing at stake. There are other questions as well I have regarding similar questions and rather than post opinion polls on anonymous message boards where every Joe Schmoe can answer I'd rather go to straight to a lawyer.

Edit: Not saying you're a Joe Schmoe, I would just really like to have someone to speak to personally. So would it be an employment lawyer or not?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
FL

I will be applying for medical school soon and part of the process involves a background check. I've had a few brushes with the law a few years back and would like to find out the best way to navigate this minefield. Although my offenses are eligible for expungement, secondary applications for schools often ask about all arrests. Please spare the comments regarding the legality of this, it's just a fact of the process. I'd like to be able to know how to answer questions like this, as well as other ones that dance on a thin lines of ambiguity.

When talking with advisers or peers about this, the general solution is to speak to a lawyer. Unfortunately, no one seems to be able to point me towards what type of lawyer. Since I'm essentially looking to get "hired" by a school, I figured maybe employment was the best place to start.

Thanks all!
If you've had 'brushes with the law', then you might want to talk to a criminal attorney before you talk to an employment attorney. :cool:

Just Blue

This is such an easy answer when you have nothing at stake. There are other questions as well I have regarding similar questions and rather than post opinion polls on anonymous message boards where every Joe Schmoe can answer I'd rather go to straight to a lawyer.

As the vast majority of the VOLUNTEERS of this site are "Joe schmoe" Perhaps you should pay an attorney to direct you.

Have a Good Day!!:)

lambeauleap

As the vast majority of the VOLUNTEERS of this site are "Joe schmoe" Perhaps you should pay an attorney to direct you.

Have a Good Day!!:)
Which is exactly what I asked for in the OP. I didn't ask for advice on how to answer, I asked advice for what type of attorney to consult. Perhaps you know? Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Which is exactly what I asked for in the OP. I didn't ask for advice on how to answer, I asked advice for what type of attorney to consult. Perhaps you know? Thank you.
You were given answers. Start with a criminal attorney.

Just Blue

I do know the type of attorney. But as you will need to grow up and figure these things out for yourself in this field...Go to an attorney. Fork out big $$. Ask the advice of said LOCAL PROFESSIONAL.

:)

Last edited:

lambeauleap

I do know the type of attorney. But as you will need to grow up and figure these things out for yourself in this field...Go to an attorney. Fork out be $$. Ask the advice of said LOCAL PROFESSIONAL.

:)
I'm so confused. I thought going out and consulting the opinions of others qualified as "figuring these things out for myself." I got a DUI 10 years ago and am trying to work around that. So please specify the need the grow up. Are you attempting to help or are you just trying to be difficult? If you are a lawyer, what kind of help are you to your profession by not directing someone seeking consul (read->someone trying to "Fork out be (sic) $$")?

@ The Geekess:
Thank you. These brushes with the law are all resolved and in the relatively distant past at this point in case that was confusing. Would you recommend then that I still start with a criminal attorney or were you basing that recommendation off of the thought that I needed someone to defend me? Thanks again/

Just Blue

I'm so confused. I thought going out and consulting the opinions of others qualified as "figuring these things out for myself." I got a DUI 10 years ago and am trying to work around that. So please specify the need the grow up. Are you attempting to help or are you just trying to be difficult? If you are a lawyer, what kind of help are you to your profession by not directing someone seeking consul (read->someone trying to "Fork out be (sic) $$")?

/
Thank You for pointing out my (sic). If you are old enough to have a 10 year old DUI, then apparently, you are old enough to consult with an attorney to solve said DUI.:)

lambeauleap

Thank You for pointing out my (sic). If you are old enough to have a 10 year old DUI, then apparently, you are old enough to consult with an attorney to solve said DUI.:)
Correct; I was able to consult with a lawyer to solve my dui, 10 years ago. Consequently, I'm not trying to find someone to solve my DUI. Please go back and read the original post as you seem to be lost in this discussion. Please let me know when you have something meaningful to contribute.

Can we attribute the smart-alek responses to the Sox down year and the Pats' loss to the Cardinals on Sunday?

quincy

Dear lambeauleap,

I am not seeing why you need an attorney at all.

No lawyer is going to tell you to lie on any medical school application, if that is what you are looking to do. You need to be honest on all application questions. Background checks for legal, educational, law enforcement and medical fields are thorough. They pick up arrests, charges, convictions and sealed and expunged records.

To combat your "checkered" past, you should be working to gather recommendations from those who can attest to your good character and current achievements.

But, if you have a rather checkered past and are afraid this past may affect your medical school applications, and you really think an attorney can help you somehow, try to get an appointment with someone like Judge Greg Mathis. ;)

sincerely,
Quincy Schmoe

lambeauleap

Dear lambeauleap,

I am not seeing why you need an attorney at all.

No lawyer is going to tell you to lie on any medical school application, if that is what you are looking to do. You need to be honest on all application questions. Background checks for legal, educational, law enforcement and medical fields are thorough. They pick up arrests, charges, convictions and sealed and expunged records.

To combat your "checkered" past, you should be working to gather recommendations from those who can attest to your good character and current achievements.

But, if you have a rather checkered past and are afraid this past may affect your medical school applications, and you really think an attorney can help you somehow, try to get an appointment with someone like Judge Greg Mathis. ;)

sincerely,
Quincy Schmoe
Good advice, thank you. Somehow focusing on LORs attesting to character slipped by me. This seems like an obvious and through way to divert attention away from previous misgiving.

I'm not looking to lie, but the main thing that I need to know is how to answer questions that ask about convictions.

Here is the docket entry from my case. Does this constitute a conviction or no contest?

Judgment Entered
WITHOUT TRIAL- PETITION IS CONFESSED PLAINTIFF(S) #1 [ME] APPEARS BY ATTORNEY DEFENDANT(S) #1 DIRECTOR OF REVENUE APPEARS BY ATTORNEY PLAINTIFF(S) #1 [ME] HAVE AND RECOVER OF DEFENDANT(S) #1 DIRECTOR OF REVENUE NOTHING COMMISSIONER [DOR], DIV 47 FINDING AND RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE COMMISSIONER APPROVED AND ADOPTED JUDGE [JUDGE] , DIV 13 SOUND RECORDING: TAPE (0 TO 0 ) JUDGMENT NUMBER: [XXXXXXXXX]
Uncontested
WITHOUT TRIAL- PETITION IS CONFESSED

Yeah, so what does that mean?

quincy

You pleaded no contest to the charges. This means that you did not admit to being guilty of the charges but you did not dispute the charges filed against you, either.

The penalties for the crime are (generally) the same for a no contest plea as they are for a guilty plea. A no contest (or nolo contendre) plea is looked at by the courts the same as a guilty plea. The advantage to a no contest plea over a guilty plea is that, should a civil action arise from the same incident that led to your arrest and charges, a no contest plea cannot be used against you as having admitted guilt.

Therefore, when you are asked if you have ever been arrested, charged, convicted, had diversion, or had any arrest, charge, conviction or diversion sealed or expunged, your answer would be yes. Then you offer an explanation in the space provided. Your explanation could potentially include that you were arrested and charged with such-and-such a crime and that you entered a no contest plea to the charge.

With any drug or alcohol conviction in your past, it will definitely be more difficult to find a school or employer willing to take the chance on you. But being honest on an application works in your favor more often than it does against it. Whenever you have a criminal history, however, it becomes especially vital to have recommendations that attest to your fine and upstanding character now and that will tout your accomplishments post-conviction.

You may find it helpful to have someone assist you in filling out the medical school applications, but I do not think an attorney is the proper person. Perhaps others on the forum may have some suggestions?

Last edited:

Ozark_Sophist

Good advice, thank you. Somehow focusing on LORs attesting to character slipped by me. This seems like an obvious and through way to divert attention away from previous misgiving.

I'm not looking to lie, but the main thing that I need to know is how to answer questions that ask about convictions.

Here is the docket entry from my case. Does this constitute a conviction or no contest?

Judgment Entered
WITHOUT TRIAL- PETITION IS CONFESSED PLAINTIFF(S) #1 [ME] APPEARS BY ATTORNEY DEFENDANT(S) #1 DIRECTOR OF REVENUE APPEARS BY ATTORNEY PLAINTIFF(S) #1 [ME] HAVE AND RECOVER OF DEFENDANT(S) #1 DIRECTOR OF REVENUE NOTHING COMMISSIONER [DOR], DIV 47 FINDING AND RECOMMENDATIONS OF THE COMMISSIONER APPROVED AND ADOPTED JUDGE [JUDGE] , DIV 13 SOUND RECORDING: TAPE (0 TO 0 ) JUDGMENT NUMBER: [XXXXXXXXX]
Uncontested
WITHOUT TRIAL- PETITION IS CONFESSED

Yeah, so what does that mean?
You plead guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">