• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

right to a witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hollerd

ohio, does an employee thats being repromanded have the right to a witness

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All fifty states. An employee who has a reasonable expectation that a scheduled meeting is for the purpose of discipline, has the right to request a co-worker as witness. But only a co-worker. He cannot have his spouse, brother-in-law, next door neighbor, or attorney, unless the spouse, b-i-l, neighbor or attorney also work for the same company.

If the meeting is not for the purpose of discipline, the company is not obliged to allow a witness. I believe, although I am not positive, that the company is not required to allow a witness for a termination meeting.

The company is not required to tell the employee of this right, but if the employee asks for it, and the circumstances are as described above, they must permit it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">