• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to work laws in Texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Prima5

undefined What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a question. My mom is in Texas and wants to quit where she's working because the owner has cut her commission's drastically. She's been offered a job in the same field but thinks she can't take it because they were all forced to sign a contract that said they couldn't work in the same field within a 150 mile radius for a period of 2 years. That throws her way out-of-town! Is that legal or can that contract hold water in court? I can understand not opening the same business within, maybe a 2 mile radius, but this guy is basically saying that she can't work in the field at all unless she moves to another city or travels outside of that 150 mile radius. Please advise!

Thank you,
Prima5

BelizeBreeze

Prima5 said:
undefined What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a question. My mom is in Texas and wants to quit where she's working because the owner has cut her commission's drastically. She's been offered a job in the same field but thinks she can't take it because they were all forced to sign a contract that said they couldn't work in the same field within a 150 mile radius for a period of 2 years. That throws her way out-of-town! Is that legal or can that contract hold water in court? I can understand not opening the same business within, maybe a 2 mile radius, but this guy is basically saying that she can't work in the field at all unless she moves to another city or travels outside of that 150 mile radius. Please advise!

Thank you,
Prima5
It's called a non-compete and is perfectly legal within limits. What those limits are will depend on Texas state law and the contract itself. Advise mom to take the contract to an employment attorney for reivew then decide.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
BTW, in employment law right-to-work means that you can't be forced to join a union. It has nothing to do with her situation.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
BTW, in employment law right-to-work means that you can't be forced to join a union. It has nothing to do with her situation.
You need to tattoo this on your butt CB. I'll even pay for it :D

Prima5

Wow, so you can be kept from working? That's terrible! It's all she knows for the last 21 years. She's been offered a job in the same field, woking out of her home, but the company is actually in another city, WAY out of the 150 radius. I guess she'll have to get an attorney then.

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That wouldn't do any good, BB. No one but Mr. CBG sees my butt. You'd have to tattoo it onto my forehead. Is your offer still good? :D

Prima5, while non-compete agreements ARE legal for the most part, in my opinion the one you describe is too restrictive to be enforced. In my state it would be thrown out. She definitely should show it to an attorney in your state.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
That wouldn't do any good, BB. No one but Mr. CBG sees my butt. You'd have to tattoo it onto my forehead. Is your offer still good? :D

Prima5, while non-compete agreements ARE legal for the most part, in my opinion the one you describe is too restrictive to be enforced. In my state it would be thrown out. She definitely should show it to an attorney in your state.
I will take the offer under advisement, but a little south of that, say half on one side and half on the other, would be perfect and come with built-in punctuation. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">