• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to personal records in HR?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was terminated in California in March, and before I moved (this was a fulltime position, by the way) I asked to see my file with HR. I was only permitted to see things which I had signed.

I believe there was discrimination, but that post will go elsewhere. What I am curious about is what documentation relative to my employment do I have a right to see? Am I limited to only the items they allowed (those I signed) or am I allowed to see the entire collection of documents?

Thanks, all.

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was terminated in California in March, and before I moved (this was a fulltime position, by the way) I asked to see my file with HR. I was only permitted to see things which I had signed.

I believe there was discrimination, but that post will go elsewhere. What I am curious about is what documentation relative to my employment do I have a right to see? Am I limited to only the items they allowed (those I signed) or am I allowed to see the entire collection of documents?

Thanks, all.
Under the California Labor Code, you have the right to view ALL contents of your employee file! If it is in your file, you have the right to view and make copies of it!

Under the California Labor Code, you have the right to view ALL contents of your employee file! If it is in your file, you have the right to view and make copies of it!
That was my impression as well. Any chance you know the pertinent code so I could point it out to them?

Betty

I believe I found an explanatory page from the state, so my main question has been answered thanks to the lead given.
Is the following what you found? If not, it's a link to the CA-DLSE factsheet on the subject of personnel files.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_Right...onnelFiles.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">