• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights to see Personnel File??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feddey26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN/ ND

I have been denied the right to view my personnel file. What laws do I follow? I live in MN, which allows me to see my personnel file. I work in ND which the the company does not have to let me view my file. The company itself is a nation wide company which is based out of Virginia and that is a state that allows employees to view their personnel file. Just curious which State laws apply in a situation like this?

justalayman

I work in ND which the the company does not have to let me view my file
then you have no right to demand to see your files. Where you live is irrelevant and where else the company has a presence is irrelevant.

feddey26

Thank you. I don't understand why some states are so much more Employer friendly and others are Employee friendly. Makes things very frustrating!!

Thanks again!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">