• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights when facing Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

APR-VA

Unfortunately, the int. design firm that I have been working for, in Virginia, is about to go out of business this Friday. It was just announced to us today (Monday).
This firm only has 13 people employed in it, so I am worried about my benefits, etc.
Two questions:

1. Is there a state law in Virginia governing notice of termination (ie. more than 5 days)?
2. Am I legally obligated to receive a pay out of the vacation I have already accrued with the company?

Any help anyone can give me promptly would be of a big benefit to me. Thanks in advance for the help.

L

loku

There is no law requiring notice of termination in most states, and the explanation of the law on the Virginia Department of Labor and Industry site is that the employer may terminate any employee at any time, for any reason, or for no reason. There is no mention of notice. However, if you want to be sure, contact the Department of Labor and Industry Representative near you. The following link will bring you to a map of Virginia that will lead you to the office of the nearest Rep: http://www.dli.state.va.us/laborlaw_reps.html.

If the policy of the company has been to pay employees for untaken vacation when they leave the company, then you are entitled to such pay also. In other words, each company may form its own policy on vacation pay, but then the company must follow its policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">