• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rules Governing Empolyer Forcing Employees To Pay For Money Shortages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ThePluckyDuck

What is the name of your state? New York (City of Saratoga Springs)

I recently was fired by The New York Racing Association (Saratoga Racecourse) becasue of a mistake made when selling a voucher to a customer and ending up $900 short of the money I was supposed to have in my cash box.

NYRA wants me to pay them for the $900 shortage. I do not have that kind of finances. Also I do not remember signing any form of agreement allowing them to deduct shortages out of my wages. I followed all proceedures for when a shortage is noticed. They asked me if I could identify the person whom I sold the $1,000 Voucher, instead of a $100 Voucher, too and I told them that I could not.

I seriously need advice. I do not dare contact NYRA until I get legal advice/representation. (Legal Aid can't do anything to help me for over a week and I am ready to panic)

I really would like to know if NYRA can hold me legally responsible for the $900 shortage.

Beth3

Plucky, each State has it's own, very specific reg's on this type of thing. I don't know happen to know what NY's are. If you don't get a specific answer here, then contact NY's DOL and inquire. Their web site is: http://www.labor.state.ny.us/

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless the law has changed in the last three and a half years, the state of New York does not permit a deduction from your paycheck for shortages.

However, my source guide does not address the issue of whether they can hold you responsible for the shortage as long as they do not automatically deduct it from your pay.

Please contact the NY DOL for definite information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">