• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sabotaging Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teppy

Minnesota:

I am not sure if this situation would be considered a legal matter but desperately need advice on how to deal with it...

I have been a special education teacher for over 20 years and have achieved tenure in 3 MN school districts. For the past 3 years, I have taught for St. Paul Public Schools. While most MN school districts will grant teachers tenure after one year of probation after achieving tenure in one or more other MN school districts, St. Paul is one of the few that require 3 years of probation no matter how many years a teacher has taught or how many MN districts they were tenured in.
After completing my third year of tenure with St. Paul, I was told that my contract was not being renewed for the 2014-2015 school year. Since hearing this information, I have been working diligently to find new employment. So far, I have had 2 interviews with 2 different school districts each of which were ready to offer me a position but then called back to say that my St. Paul reference; (principal) told them that I had issues with my paperwork and working with students with high behavioral needs; (I pride myself on how much success I have achieved with students such as this and had even belonged to a Student Assistant Team committee where myself and 3 other teachers, school nurse and social worker have assisted other teachers in finding new strategies, etc. to work with their students with high behavioral needs) However, I do have glowing references from 3 former students' parents, a colleague who I team taught with and served as a mentor and a educational assistant who worked in my classroom my first year with St. Paul Public Schools. This has happened twice and I am angry, upset and stressed about the possibility of not finding new employment because of her statements.I am not sure what to do. On each MN teaching application I have filled out, it always asked for a present of last employer and if they may be contacted. I had always checked "yes" that she could be contacted not thinking that this would be the result.
Questions: Should I simply say "no" that I wish that other districts do not contact her? If I say no, can they still so even though I requested them not to? I am very worried that I will not gain employment by the beginning of the school year due to this situation and am in desperate need of help. I have given over 20 years of my life and dedicated my career to working with special needs students and do not want this situation to ruin my career. My husband and my livelihood depends on my employment. As I previously said, this may not be a legal situation but ANY answers, advice, etc. would be SO APPRECIATED. Thank you.

Last edited:

quincy

Minnesota:

I am not sure if this situation would be considered a legal matter but desperately need advice on how to deal with it...

I have been a special education teacher for over 20 years and have achieved tenure in 3 MN school districts. For the past 3 years, I have taught for St. Paul Public Schools. While most MN school districts will grant teachers tenure after one year of probation after achieving tenure in one or more other MN school districts, St. Paul is one of the few that require 3 years of probation no matter how many years a teacher has taught or how many MN districts they were tenured in.
After completing my third year of tenure with St. Paul, I was told that my contract was not being renewed for the 2014-2015 school year. Since hearing this information, I have been working diligently to find new employment. So far, I have had 2 interviews with 2 different school districts each of which were ready to offer me a position but then called back to say that my St. Paul reference; (principal) told them that I had issues with my paperwork and working with students with high behavioral needs; (I pride myself on how much success I have achieved with students such as this and had even belonged to a Student Assistant Team committee where myself and 3 other teachers, school nurse and social worker have assisted other teachers in finding new strategies, etc. to work with their students with high behavioral needs) However, I do have glowing references from 3 former students' parents, a colleague who I team taught with and served as a mentor and a educational assistant who worked in my classroom my first year with St. Paul Public Schools. This has happened twice and I am angry, upset and stressed about the possibility of not finding new employment because of her statements.I am not sure what to do. On each MN teaching application I have filled out, it always asked for a present of last employer and if they may be contacted. I had always checked "yes" that she could be contacted not thinking that this would be the result.
Questions: Should I simply say "no" that I wish that other districts do not contact her? If I say no, can they still so even though I requested them not to? I am very worried that I will not gain employment by the beginning of the school year due to this situation and am in desperate need of help. I have given over 20 years of my life and dedicated my career to working with special needs students and do not want this situation to ruin my career. My husband and my livelihood depends on my employment. As I previously said, this may not be a legal situation but ANY answers, advice, etc. would be SO APPRECIATED. Thank you.
Have you contacted your former employer to ask about the references being provided and the reasons behind the making of the less-than-flattering statements? Is there any other reason you can think of for why your contract was not renewed with your previous employer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Should I simply say "no" that I wish that other districts do not contact her? That's the WORST thing you could possibly do. Believe me, prospective employers who hear that will be imagining things that are far worse than reality. HUGE red flag that SCREAMS, Don't Hire ME.

If I say no, can they still so even though I requested them not to? Yes, actually. So there's really no point to making matters worse by saying no.

What prospective employers hate worst is being blindsided. You can do yourself the most good by letting prospective employers know UP FRONT what they're going to hear and putting your own spin on the situation first. If they hear it from you, it's going to make far less impact.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">