• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salaried Employees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwalla

What is the name of your state? New York

In two weeks, a Fortune 500 company will announce to all salaried personell that overtime pay is being abolished.

I am aware that salaried (exempt) employees are not legally entitled to overtime pay. However, will the employees have a chance to dispute this decision under the grounds that at the time of employment, their contract stated that overtime pay was given?

Also, just so I understand, a salaried employee can be made to work any amount of hours and days per week as the employer needs, correct? Meaning you could have a salaried employee working 12 hour days at 7 days per week and not be entitled to any form of compensation?

Thank you very much for your time.

Beth3

"However, will the employees have a chance to dispute this decision under the grounds that at the time of employment, their contract stated that overtime pay was given?" Only if there actually is a bonafide employment contract in place for each exempt employee (or if they are unionized and the CBA requires OT pay.) If you're referring to offer letters, those are not contracts.

"Also, just so I understand, a salaried employee can be made to work any amount of hours and days per week as the employer needs, correct?" Yes. A few States require "one day of rest in seven" but that does not put a limit on the number of hours an exempt (or non-exempt) employee can be required to work.

"Meaning you could have a salaried employee working 12 hour days at 7 days per week and not be entitled to any form of compensation?" Exempt employees are only entitled to receive their regular fixed weekly salary, regardless of the number of hours they work with the exception of a very few situations in which the employer may dock exempt employees for full days of pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">