• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salaried exempt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brimanross

south carolina, i work for an engineering firm that hires salaried exempt. does that mean i am exempt from overtime pay, comp time? can they work us as much as they want for the same pay? is is legal for them to bill our clients for our overtime hours without paying us for it?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Regardless of what state you are in, it is your job duties that determine whether you are correctly exempt or not. If you are exempt, you are not entitled to overtime (an employer MAY pay it, but is not required to.) On the other hand, you must get paid your full salary every week, except in some very specific circumstances, regardless of how many hours you work. Yes, in the circumstances you describe, and again assuming that you are correctly exempt, they can charge the client for your overtime without paying it to you.

You have not provided anywhere near enough information to determine if you are correctly exempt or no, but you can check out the Federal DOL web site at www.dol.gov and you should find some additional information there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">