+ Reply to Thread
    ndfan is offline Junior Member

Salary offer rescinded

Is it legal for a company to offer one salary, then reduce the amount after they find out what you are presently making?
    Mister Darcy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ndfan
    Is it legal for a company to offer one salary, then reduce the amount after they find out what you are presently making?
    Sure. Just turn down the second offer. They are trying to negotiate based on what they think you will accept. If they don't come back with a higher offer then you don't want to work for them anyway.
    ndfan is offline Junior Member
    Isn't that discrimination.. to offer one salary, then change the amount after they find out what you make?
    RedemptionMan is offline Member
    How about NO.....

it is not discrimination and how could they find out what you are making now?
    my employer and most will tell them that they can not verify salary information...It sucks cause I would want a raise too if I changed jobs.. .good luck to you....
    cbg
    cbg is offline Senior Member
    RedemptionMan know approximately as much about what employers will or will not do as my cat. He is correct that this is not discrimination. But he is dead wrong that most employers will not verify salary. They most certainly will. Even those employers who limit themselves to name, rank and serial number will almost always verify salary. If RedemptionMan's employer does not, he is in the minority, not the majority.

Does this mean I approve of lowering an offer in this way? No, I do not. But it does not violate any laws.