• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary offer rescinded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ndfan

Is it legal for a company to offer one salary, then reduce the amount after they find out what you are presently making?

ndfan said:
Is it legal for a company to offer one salary, then reduce the amount after they find out what you are presently making?
Sure. Just turn down the second offer. They are trying to negotiate based on what they think you will accept. If they don't come back with a higher offer then you don't want to work for them anyway.

ndfan

Isn't that discrimination.. to offer one salary, then change the amount after they find out what you make?

How about NO.....

it is not discrimination and how could they find out what you are making now?
my employer and most will tell them that they can not verify salary information...It sucks cause I would want a raise too if I changed jobs.. .good luck to you....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
RedemptionMan know approximately as much about what employers will or will not do as my cat. He is correct that this is not discrimination. But he is dead wrong that most employers will not verify salary. They most certainly will. Even those employers who limit themselves to name, rank and serial number will almost always verify salary. If RedemptionMan's employer does not, he is in the minority, not the majority.

Does this mean I approve of lowering an offer in this way? No, I do not. But it does not violate any laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">