• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

At same place, using previous, unrelated interview for different job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blue skies

For me they're using old, unrelated interview; others get new interview

Alabama

I am a non-profit development professional who interviewed with a non-profit
foundation for a non professional position 6 weeks ago. At the time of the interview the Director's position was open, and I had applied for it also, but because of the position it required a more extensive and longer search. I've been unemployed for a year (harassment) that's why I applied for both jobs.

The two jobs in question have nothing in common, yet I was informed by the Human Resource Director just yesterday that she was using my previous (from 6 weeks ago) interview as my interview for the Director's position. Needless to say, I was appalled that a professional would do such a thing. I am one of only 5 candidates for this position, and she is finishing interviews this week. I was actually the first to apply for the position through the previous director.

I've been on many interviews in the past several months, and I know candidates are supposed to be treated equally, down to the very questions they're asked.

She said she would agree to give me an interview next week, but I know I'm dead in the water; I could tell by her voice.

What do I do??

Last edited:

eerelations

This is perfectly legal. While it may be good HR/employment practice to "treat all candidates equally" this practice isn't enshrined in law. If you had been treated differently by this prosepective employer because of your race, gender, disability, religion, etc. then the employer may have broken a law, however from your post it doesn't sound as if your treatment was based on any of these grounds.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They had no legal obligation to interview you for both jobs, or either job, at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">