• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sarbanes Oxley act Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jpitty3153

I am doing some research for a college project and I have read the Sarbanes Oxley Act, It clearly defines protection for whistleblowers but my question is are Human Resources employees who aid the whistle blower by pointing them down the proper channels protected by the same statutes?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am doing some research for a college project and I have read the Sarbanes Oxley Act, It clearly defines protection for whistleblowers but my question is are Human Resources employees who aid the whistle blower by pointing them down the proper channels protected by the same statutes?
Sorry, we don't do (your) homework.

Jpitty3153

Sorry, we don't do (your) homework.
Actually im not asking anybody to do my homework for me this is not a quiz or test question. I am doing research on the Sarbanes Oxley Act and Sec. 1514A is kind of unclear to me. It does not mention any protection for employees who assist a whistleblower. I am trying to get pointed in the correct direction to an answer to my question. The said section is written below.

Civil action to protect against retaliation in fraud cases

`(a) WHISTLEBLOWER PROTECTION FOR EMPLOYEES OF PUBLICLY TRADED COMPANIES- No company with a class of securities registered under section 12 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U.S.C. 78l), or that is required to file reports under section 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U.S.C. 78o(d)), or any officer, employee, contractor, subcontractor, or agent of such company, may discharge, demote, suspend, threaten, harass, or in any other manner discriminate against an employee in the terms and conditions of employment because of any lawful act done by the employee--

Jpitty3153

I could of lied and made a thread titled...... "I was wrongfully fired because I informed the Security Exchange Commission that my company was falsifying their financial statements" and would of had 10,000 answers because if the allegations were proven true and the SEC filed damages my legal counsel and I would be compensated with a percentage of the damages. However I was honest and said this post for academic research.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I could of lied and made a thread titled...... "I was wrongfully fired because I informed the Security Exchange Commission that my company was falsifying their financial statements" and would of had 10,000 answers because if the allegations were proven true and the SEC filed damages my legal counsel and I would be compensated with a percentage of the damages. However I was honest and said this post for academic research.
I suppose you could have, but we're pretty good at ferreting out the liars.

ecmst12

Also, the people who answer questions here are volunteers and not compensated in any way, nor is it allowed for lawyers to solicit clients on this board.

LdiJ

Yes, they are also protected because they are participating in the whistle blowing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">