• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Schedule change without notice and fired next day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shiro7

Hi, my name is Nick and I live in North Carolina. I have just been fired due to a situtation that I feel is unfair. I don't know much about the laws related to this nor do I know how to handle the situtation. I have only been working at Subway for 2 months now. The last day I worked was Monday and the work schedule said that I have Tuesday and Wednesday off. So here I am enjoying my Wednesday off ^__^ and a coworker messages me on facebook and tells me that I was supposed to work today and that I have been fired. I recheck my schedule because I thought I had made a mistake but it DOES say that I have today off. My coworker then sends me a picture of the "new" schedule with a time written in the box for my name and another coworkers crossed out. This had happend the day before I was supposed to work, on my day off, without notice. I don't know how I was supposed to know there was changes if nobody told me. I tried to call my manager about 3 times but she didn't answer the phone so I'm going to call her first thing in the morning. I am young and inexperienced so I don't really know how to handle the situtation but I don't see how this could be fair. Is this legal? Could I recieve unemployment or something? I don't know what to do so I am asking the internet for help. Thanks in advance. :(:(:(

ecmst12

May not be fair, but it is legal. However, it could also be your coworker messing with you. Don't get too concerned until you talk to your boss. If you've only worked for 2 months, you won't have enough work history to qualify for unemployment though.

Stephen1

May not be fair, but it is legal. However, it could also be your coworker messing with you. Don't get too concerned until you talk to your boss. If you've only worked for 2 months, you won't have enough work history to qualify for unemployment though.
Regarding whether you have sufficient work history for unemployment benefits, you might have sufficient history based upon previous employment. So, if you have actually been fired (you need to confirm this with your boss), then file for unemployment with the state and let them decide whether you qualify or not. There is no penalty for filing for unemployment when you don't qualify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">