• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

searching personal items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FreeLance

Oregon

My employer is putting together a new drug & alcohol policy. As a part of that, they state that they have the right to search employee's personal belongings if the have reasonable suspicion.

I have no problem with searching of lockers, desk drawers, or file cabinet; can they really search my purse or backpack?

Beth3

I'm not so sure about that one HG. It would depend on each State's case law (although perhaps you are answering in light of Oregon law on this.) Company policy or not, an employer may not act like the police and has no assumed right to search an employee's personnel belongings and areas where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy (such as a company locker where they've been allowed to purchase their own lock.) Advance notice to employees of the right to search might suffice but if I were setting such a policy for my company, I'd certainly check with my attorney first.

F

FreeLance

thanks

They said they did check with an attorney, just feels like invasion of privacy to me. Thanks both of you!

Beth3

If their attorney gave it the all clear, then I'm sure this is legal in your State. HG, you were indeed correct. What WAS I thinking??? :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">