• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seasonal employment over-ineligible for unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angela81

Hi All, I am hoping someone can help me. I was on unemployment for a year and decided to get a seasonal jobs. The employer lets call them Lacy's, had been messing up my schedule since day one. The first week I had schedule and the second, the shift was completly different from what I was hired for. After the third week of my schedule being messed up, I called my manager who never returned my phone calls and told her that i had no hours. We were told in orientation that if you had no hours, you were not being made permanent. After receiving the questionnaire from unemployment, I filled it out honestly and put lack of hours or work as the reason for me not being there. The managers at Lacy's claimed to never have spoke with unemployment and had not returned the questioannaire, so they weren't sure was going on, but claimed that there was work available.The unemployment representative found me inelgible and that was my only means of an income while in grad school which i am done with this month. I have a doctors note proving that i took my daughter to the doctor on 12/14 and 12/15 which they say i called and told them that I was not returning. Should I take this to a hearing? If so, what are my chances of winning?

Hot Topic

Why did you delete the request for the name of your state?

Companies are not obligated to set up schedules that are convenient for the employees, especially seasonal ones. You either want the work or you don't.

Betty

Agree, the employer does not have to work around your schedule (what is convenient for you). You work whatever schedule your employer offers/requires unless you have a legally binding employment contract guaranteeing a certain schedule.

commentator

It sounds as though they said you had refused hours and this was the reason you were not getting them. Therefore the state, whatever state it is, denied your unemployment on the initial decision.

If you were being offered hours and you were refusing to work them because of child care issues or because of shift preferences and you file for unemployment, they'll always say that they had hours available and you were refusing them. I do not understand why you say they hadn't talked to the unemployment office, when they would've been contacted as soon as you filed the claim and asked for the reason why you were no longer working for them. Then a decision would have been made based on what you said and what they said. And it appears it was denied. What was the reason that your decision says your claim was denied? That you quit your job? That they had hours and you refused to work them?

The thing about unemployment being your only source of potential income is not relevant. They don't give unemployment to people because they need it to live on, whatever the reason they're poor. They give it to people who are out of work through no fault of their own. It sounds as though you were maybe picking and chosing hours to suit your schedule. But in any case, file an appeal, it doesn't cost anything. We're assuming you're not working for them any longer and you're able and available for work, in spite of your grad school issues. But if you've already been on unemployment for a year, you're reaching the stage where with or without this seasonal or temp job, there's no more unemployment in the claim from your original lay off for you to draw. That happens after a while. Then you have to work again somewhere and get some more wages in before you can start receiving unemployment again.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">