• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seasonal/ full time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dotsllc

What is the name of your state? florida
How do you classified seasonal work, i started to work for this company, i work 70 hours 7 days a week during peak season then go down to 5 days a week, and they call it seasonal no lay off's so can they do that.365day's a year

also was wondering about a break and lunch breaks to as they do not allow or tell you to take lunch on the go..
thanks dotsllc

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The definitions of seasonal and full time are whatever the employer wants them to be. There is no legal definition of either.

Florida law does not require any lunch or rest breaks. They are entirely at the opt of the employer.

Nothing in your post suggests that your employer is violating any laws.

dotsllc

seasonal

so what you are telling me that there is no federal laws and a employer can do what ever fits his needs sorry i think you should check back into that or go to checking into to federal laws the end of this site......

C

CheeseBlotto

OK, you have a multi-million dollar case.

There. Is that what you wanted to hear?

Beth3

dotsllc, if you know all about the federal law on this topic, why are you asking the question? :rolleyes:

cbg is exactly right. Employers make their own definitions as to what constitutes full time, part-time, temporary, seasonal, and so on. The only federal law that applies here is ERISA which prohibits employers from purposefully misclassifying employees in order to avoid offering them participation in the employer's qualified benefit plans.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you're so convinced that a Federal law has been violated, suppose you post a link to the law in question.

julia805

Here's what I found... read, you might get a chair out of all of this.

Florida Labor Law

448.01 Legal day's work; extra pay.--

(1) Ten hours of labor shall be a legal day's work, and when any person employed to perform manual labor of any kind by the day, week, month or year renders 10 hours of labor, he or she shall be considered to have performed a legal day's work, unless a written contract has been signed by the person so employed and the employer, requiring a less or greater number of hours of labor to be performed daily.
(2) Unless such written contract has been made, the person employed shall be entitled to extra pay for all work performed by the requirement of his or her employer in excess of 10 hours' labor daily.

448.05 Seats to be furnished for employees in stores; penalty.--If any merchant, storekeeper, employer of male or female clerks, salespeople, cash boys or cash girls, or other assistants, in mercantile or other business pursuits, requiring such employees to stand or walk during their active duties, neglect to furnish at his or her own cost or expense suitable chairs, stools or sliding seats attached to the counters or walls, for the use of such employees when not engaged in their active work, and not required to be on their feet in the proper performance of their several duties; or refuse to permit their said employees to make reasonable use of said seats during business hours, for purposes of necessary rest, and when such use will not interfere with humane or reasonable requirements of their employment, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

There was nothing I could find about breaks and lunches.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I see nothing in that reference that states what shall be considered a full time position, or anything that states what shall be considered a seasonal position. It refers only to what is considered a full DAY's work - not what's considered a full time job.

You didn't find anything about breaks or lunches because, as I said, Florida law does not require them. There IS no statute.

julia805

EXACTLY! What I posted was ALL there was that came remotely close. 7 days a week at 70 hours is normal working hours. To someone who works in California where 40 hours in 7 days is considered normal, it's shocking!

C

CheeseBlotto

It's also a part of why one's economy is reasonably healthy and the other is near collapse.

Beth3

What I posted was ALL there was that came remotely close. 7 days a week at 70 hours is normal working hours. That is not at all what that legal cite is saying. You've taken that cite out of context so I don't know what those statements are in reference to but all that is saying is that for some legal definition purpose, ten hours of labor will be considered a legal day's work. It does not mean that ten hour days are normal working hours in Florida.

julia805

Beth3 said:
What I posted was ALL there was that came remotely close. 7 days a week at 70 hours is normal working hours. That is not at all what that legal cite is saying. You've taken that cite out of context so I don't know what those statements are in reference to but all that is saying is that for some legal definition purpose, ten hours of labor will be considered a legal day's work. It does not mean that ten hour days are normal working hours in Florida.
i stand corrected :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">