• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Secretary Stealing Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgoldie1

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but here goes. (State is NJ)

Hi, I need some advice. My friend is owner of a small business (only 2 employees). He recently just found out that his secretary, who he has been friends with for almost 10 yrs, has been stealing from the company. He has verified this with copies of cancelled checks made out to Verizon, Bank of America (with different account numbers than his) and some duplicate "salary checks" made out to the secretary.

He is in the midst of gettting all his bank statements from 2007 to see how long it's been going on. Unfortunately, he gave total autonomy to the secretary to pay all bills and write out all checks, and even to sign his name on the checks.

In addition, her husband is my friend's accountant. The secretary has all the 2007 bank statements and gives the excuse that her husband needs them for tax purposes.

Also, there are two little caveats. She has always been paid cash (checks made out to cash) and my friend's wife has been put "on the books" as an employee (I believe due to health care).

Here's my question. What does he do??? He is definitely going to confront her, show the proof, give her an opportunity to admit that she did it, and try to find out how long it's been going on and how much she has taken.

What if she threatens to "tell" on him regarding paying her cash and keeping his wife on the payroll? What if her husband does something to his taxes/paperwork? Should he press criminal charges?

Please advise. Thank you very much.

*** I understand that my friend was not the smartest guy in the world to give all this autonomy to this woman and he has learned his lesson.

mlane58

*** I understand that my friend was not the smartest guy in the world to give all this autonomy to this woman and he has learned his lesson.
Thats putting it lightly.
Also, there are two little caveats. She has always been paid cash (checks made out to cash) and my friend's wife has been put "on the books" as an employee (I believe due to health care).
There isn't any law that states an employer cannot pay the employee in cash as long as taxes are taken out---was this the case?

CraigFL

Well... One doesn't have to do with the other because the Police could care less about the employee fraud. The secretary could make trouble for the business if she complains to the govt as to why she has no wages reported to Social Security for the last few years ;) So now the real problem is that how does one thief collect money from another thief without using the legal system....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">