• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

security cleaance revoked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apishapa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
My daughter has been an employee an LPN at the county jail. An inmate called her on her phone and wrote her two letters. When she was hired she was asked if the knew any of the inmates ansd she said "no" because he wasn't in jail at the time. She knew him before she took the job but he was not incarcerated at the time. When he was taken into the jail she told her supervisor that she knew him. She answered the phone one time when he called to tell him to stop calling her. She did not respond to his letters and she did not visit him in the jail. She spoke to him once when she was doing meds.

Today, they brought her in and questioned her. They asked her if he asked her to bring him things and she said "no". She didn't have contact with him at work, he was on a different cell than where she was working. She spoke to him once because she was surprised to see him there. They said they are taking away her security clearance because she answered the phone when he called. She has invested three years of school and She is one month from graduating fro RN school. She has invested 3 years and is $20000 in debt from nursing school. No one told her she could not answer the phone. She did not have any contact other than that. It is not her fault he wrote her letters. She is a beautiful young woman and a lot of men try to hit on her. She is freaked out because she never recieved any instructions concerning inmates. She did not pass med to him or anything.

What I want to know is if this will harm her nursing career? What can she do to protect her license.

commentator

Okay, they terminated her? They said her "security clearance" was revoked from working at the jail? Gotta be a little more specific here. There's no universal "security clearance" for being an LPN that I know of, unless they did something to report her to the state's licensure bureau.

She may be a loverly person, and she may have invested bunches of time and money in her training and everything else, but that does not mean she cannot be terminated from a position. That is an aspect of "at will" employment and it applies whether she is an LPN or a plumber. They obviously feel there's something fishy about her relationship with this one particular inmate, and they are uncomfortable enough about it to terminate her. Unless they go so far as to censure her or report improper conduct to the state board, this will not seriously affect her future employment.

sandyclaus

Whadaughter name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO
My daughter has been an employee an LPN at the county jail. An inmate called her on her phone and wrote her two letters. When she was hired she was asked if the knew any of the inmates ansd she said "no" because he wasn't in jail at the time. She knew him before she took the job but he was not incarcerated at the time. When he was taken into the jail she told her supervisor that she knew him. She answered the phone one time when he called to tell him to stop calling her. She did not respond to his letters and she did not visit him in the jail. She spoke to him once when she was doing meds.

Today, they brought her in and questioned her. They asked her if he asked her to bring him things and she said "no". She didn't have contact with him at work, he was on a different cell than where she was working. She spoke to him once because she was surprised to see him there. They said they are taking away her security clearance because she answered the phone when he called. She has invested three years of school and She is one month from graduating fro RN school. She has invested 3 years and is $20000 in debt from nursing school. No one told her she could not answer the phone. She did not have any contact other than that. It is not her fault he wrote her letters. She is a beautiful young woman and a lot of men try to hit on her. She is freaked out because she never recieved any instructions concerning inmates. She did not pass med to him or anything.

What I want to know is if this will harm her nursing career? What can she do to protect her license.
I read that as saying your daughter KNEW her friend was incarcerated, told her supervisor so, and still answered their phone call. That's why she got into trouble.

She should have known better than to communicate with the inmate. The restrictions on that are common sense, so she didn't need to be told not to speak with the inmate.

While it might not be a problem for her career per se, it could definitely affect her ability to work in the prison system again. As for her license, I don't know. Someone else should be able to address that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">