• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security clearance for cook job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divona2000

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I applied for a cooking job at a CRTC Food Service (on base). I have had two phone interviews, been told my app and resume look great, and have every confidence I will get the job. My in-person interview is next week, and I was just told that everyone who enters the base must have a "security clearance".
In 2003 I was arrested and charged with two felonies, but both felony charges were dropped the next day when the arresting officer further investigated and discovered my estranged husband had lied. Both the officer and the Pros. Attys Office "went to bat" for me, I was allowed to pay a small fine on a "careless driving" plea, and it was over with. I have the paperwork on all of this. I also have a statement from the Prosecuting Attys Office confirming that I was never issued a ticket, and have no tickets on my driving record.

Do I need to be concerned over this "Security Clearance" check? Will the arrests keep me from being hired, even though they were dropped?
Thank you, Nan

xylene

It is possible that they require a full blown check. It is possible that you might fail, and might not find out why.

I am very curious WHO told you you needed a security clearance.

BECAUSE (and BTW I think this is more likely) If this person is poorly informed, talking the situation up, or just throwing jargon around than they might be referring to a criminal background check. Your lack of a felony conviction might be all they are after.

xylene

It's not the job, it's the place. Doesn't surprise me at all.
I am wondering if the interview was meaning either:

1) must have security clearance - permission (clearance) from base / goverment security to be on the base. Fancy words for a crimimal / personal background check.

2) must have a security clearance - a federal investigation to authorize access to classified materials / environments. Much more involved, interviews, etc. - just not a realistic thing to have done by next week.

I strongly doubt it is anything but number 1 and this poster should relax.

When I worked on base, I was required to have a personal background check and to get authorization to be on the base. Then, I was moved to a different area of the base and was required to have a full blown security clearance which included about a ton of paperwork.

P.S. I worked in food service as well.

ForFun

I am wondering if the interview was meaning either:

1) must have security clearance - permission (clearance) from base / goverment security to be on the base. Fancy words for a crimimal / personal background check.

2) must have a security clearance - a federal investigation to authorize access to classified materials / environments. Much more involved, interviews, etc. - just not a realistic thing to have done by next week.

I strongly doubt it is anything but number 1 and this poster should relax.
I am very confident that you are correct. :D

Silverplum

You're really questioning this? Do you honestly think you could get ANY job on a base without any sort of background check? :confused: 'Cause that's just crazy thinking.

xylene

You're really questioning this? Do you honestly think you could get ANY job on a base without any sort of background check? :confused: 'Cause that's just crazy thinking.
The woman was asking out of concern for her two domestic dispute related felony arrests that were dropped.

xylene said:

Many people, including probably our OP could easily meet standard 1. Standard 2 is more complicated...even for those with allegedly 'spotless' records.

What eactly is your problem. This poster just wants to know what is in store for her to go to an interview and hopefully get a job.

Silverplum

The woman was asking out of concern for her two domestic dispute related felony arrests that were dropped.
Many people, including probably our OP could easily meet standard 1. Standard 2 is more complicated...even for those with allegedly 'spotless' records.
What eactly is your problem. This poster just wants to know what is in store for her to go to an interview and hopefully get a job.
It's an unreasonably stupid q. And it's a free country. :rolleyes:

Silverplum

That was rhetorical question. But its nice that you can admit that YOU have the problem. :D
And you? Don't YOU have a problem, too, xylene? :rolleyes:

If you plan to follow me around today, you can buy my lunch as well. But only if you're quiet while I eat. :p

divona2000

Thank you to everyone for their answers and assistance.
-except "Silverplum" with the "It's an unreasonably stupid q. And it's a free country" comment. :p :p :p I thought it a quite reasonable question.

divona2000

update June '07

Just a brief update...:) I did get the job, I passed the security check with no problem. Security Officer told me they are not concerned with 'domestic' stuff, only things that might be security issues...(one of the cooks who also 'passed' has a DUI conviction and lost his drv.lic. for a year over it!). Thanks again to all who gave helpful comments to this middle-aged ex-housewife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">