• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seems kind of fishy to me...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2Curious

I'm writing on behalf of my sister and a hiring situation that just doesn't seem right. This situation happened in Kansas. She went in to interview for a job with one of the angencies' managers. Upon completion of the interview the manager automatically offered her the job and told her the only thing she needed to do is take a drug test and then would begin her employment. She was told the drug test would definately come back within 3 days and she'd start at that time. Eight days after taking the drug test she still had not heard from the agency. She doesn't drink, smoke, take any medication, or anything else legal/illegal. Basically, there's no way she's going to fail a drug test. After a couple calls and messages were left with the agency and the manger that interviewed/hired her she still received no response a day later. She then sent an email to the head of the agency who then sent an email saying "they hadn't received the results to the drug test yet". This email also then prompted the hiring manager to call back and say the same thing and that they'd be in contact. Two days later they still hadn't contacted her but something seems like it MAY be a little fishy to me. They very well could be waiting on the test results to return OR could have possibly found a candidate that they may have like a little better. My question is can an employer legally offer an individual a job, begin the hiring process (drug test), and then withdraw that employment offer if there are no disqualifying circumstances (i.e. failed drug test, felonies discovered during background check,)?

HomeGuru

2Curious said:
I'm writing on behalf of my sister and a hiring situation that just doesn't seem right. This situation happened in Kansas. She went in to interview for a job with one of the angencies' managers. Upon completion of the interview the manager automatically offered her the job and told her the only thing she needed to do is take a drug test and then would begin her employment. She was told the drug test would definately come back within 3 days and she'd start at that time. Eight days after taking the drug test she still had not heard from the agency. She doesn't drink, smoke, take any medication, or anything else legal/illegal. Basically, there's no way she's going to fail a drug test. After a couple calls and messages were left with the agency and the manger that interviewed/hired her she still received no response a day later. She then sent an email to the head of the agency who then sent an email saying "they hadn't received the results to the drug test yet". This email also then prompted the hiring manager to call back and say the same thing and that they'd be in contact. Two days later they still hadn't contacted her but something seems like it MAY be a little fishy to me. They very well could be waiting on the test results to return OR could have possibly found a candidate that they may have like a little better. My question is can an employer legally offer an individual a job, begin the hiring process (drug test), and then withdraw that employment offer if there are no disqualifying circumstances (i.e. failed drug test, felonies discovered during background check,)?

**A: the answer is yes they can.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">