• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seizures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SPollard

What is the name of your state? NC
I am a general contractor - My father and I have owned a business for about ten years, however my father has passed away - estate issues - and now I will no longer be able to continue the business. I have seizures that are for the most part controlled by medication - yet it seems that every application I fill out there is a box for this disorder and I feel like I may not be getting jobs that I am qualified for because of this. What can I do?

Last edited:

Beth3

In this day and age, it's highly unusual for an employment application to ask health-related questions unless any particular disorders or disabilities would automatically bar one from employment due to safety issues.

What kinds of jobs are you applying for? If you're applying for construction jobs, I can imagine that an only partially controlled seizure disorder could be a major safety problem.

S

SPollard

Well I am applying for construction positions and yes here in NC they do have that listed on the application

Beth3

I have no career experience in the construction trades but again, I can imagine that a seizure disorder has the potential to be a very serious safety issue for you and others. (I believe seizure disorders also bar individuals from obtaining a CDL license too, as an example.)

Construction is hazardous enough without having someone on the crew who may have a seizure at any time. I strongly suspect you're going to have to pursue a different career field. Sorry.

S

SPollard

Well, this is the only trade I know - am I eligible for disability ?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
North Carolina does not have a state disability plan. If you mean a private or employer sponsored disability plan, that depends on the definition of "disabled" under that specific plan. If you mean SSDI, you'll have to ask them.

However, in most cases that fact that you are not able to work at your old trade does not qualify you for disability unless the nature of the disability is such that you cannot learn a new trade.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">