• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selection criteria

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dgw

In April of 1997 I was employed by a college in a state system as a supervisor in the Facilities dept. In October of '97 the department director resigned. I filled most of the responsibilities of that position until July '99 under direction of the VP of Business and finance. During this time I was considered for the Director position. When the decision was made to go to another internal candidate I was assured by the VP that I would definetly get the Asst. Director position when that became available. The AD had announced that he was retiring soon.The AD retired in November of '99. Since then I have assumed all his responsibiliites in addition to my normal responsibiliiets. I was assured again by the VP and new director that I would get that position. Everyone states that I have done an admirable job of filling the duties of AD, my performance evaluation is excellent, I've been nominated for the college Innovations Award as well as Outstanding Employee of the year.
At this point the President of the college has decided that whoever fills the AD position neds to have a degree. It doesn't matter if the degree has any application to the position, he just wants the person to have a degree of some sort. I have not completed a degree. The previous AD did not have a degree.
My question is, can the requirement of a degree as a condition of employment be legal?
I could understand if the degree requirement related to the responsibilities of the position, but this is not the case.Also the former AD did not have a degree.
I have held out for over two years on the promise that I was going to be moved up, done more than was required of me, done it well and lost time in searching for a better position elsewhere based on these promises. Now I find that I am being eliminated from the position based on a criteria that is not relevant to the responsibilities of the position.
Am I correct in my view, and what legal action can I take to remedy this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">