• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling me as an "asset"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kejcl28

New York State. My company has sold the current plant that I work in, along with all of the products we produce. I want to stay with my current company and applied for a position in another plant in order to stay with them. I have been told that I was listed as an asset in the selling agreement, and therefore was sold to the new company. They say that they cannot move me to another plant, and even if I quit this new company, they cannot hire me for at least 1 year from the transition date. Is this legal? If I want to stay with my current company and they have an open position for me, can they block me from taking it?

Last edited:

Beth3

Yes, it's legal. You weren't "sold" as an asset. The explanation they gave you is just stupid. You're free to quit for a new job elsewhere. If they don't want to hire you at another site for some period of time, they don't have to.

They say that they cannot move me to another plant, and even if I quit this new company, they cannot hire me for at least 1 year from the transition date. Is this legal? Yes.

If I want to stay with my current company and they have an open position for me, can they block me from taking it? Yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">