• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mstred336

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Got laid off yesterday. In the separation agreement it says the company will provide me with 3 months medical and dental insurance from the date of the agreement at the employee contribution rate.

They also told me that I had to sign the agreement before I left work (which I did not do) or my dental insurance would become ineffective as of that afternoon.

Then later on in the agreement, it says employee has carefully read and understands agreement, has had opportunity to discuss all aspects with an attorney of his own choosing if desired.

How can I have an attorney look at it and sign it before I leave work without risk of losing my dental insurance??

What I need to know is if they are bound to continue my dental insurance? Nowhere in the agreement does it say that my dental insurance would be dis-continued if I didn't sign the agreement before I left work. That was told to me by the HR man.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is a reason I am asking this question which directly relates to the answer to your question.

How old are you?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then under the law they are REQUIRED to give you no less than 21 days to sign the agreement; they CANNOT insist that you sign at once. I am not an attorney but I have considerable experience with these agreements and to the best of my knowledge, their failure to give you the mandatory time required by the ADEA makes the agreement invalid.

Take your copy of the agreement, signed or unsigned, to a local attorney IMMEDIATELY.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, the age mattered. If the poster had been under 40 then the requirement to give him 21 days to be reviewed by an attorney does not exist, and they CAN legally require him to sign at once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">