• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clprefi

Georgia

I received my separation notice from my employer. I was expecting 18 weeks of separation pay based on 12 years of service and documentation of the "Separation Plan" from my employer. My separation notice states that I am only getting 12 weeks based on 7 years of service. The difference is from a time when I was laid-off in 2002 from the same employer and was re-hired 3 months later. The documentation clearly states that separation pay is based on "years of service". Is there anything I can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are free to take all associated documentation to a Georgia attorney for review. However, separation or severance pay is not required by law, so unless you have a bona fide, legally binding contract that specifically says otherwise, you are "due" only what the company chooses to give you.

Hot Topic

Severance pay could be considered an enticement to get rid of you; don't make a fuss about leaving, and we'll pay you your salary for x number of weeks, plus you'll still have access to certain benefits (as if you still were coming in the office to work from 8-5 every day).

Consider yourself lucky if no strings have been attached.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">