• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation Agreement Waives Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

haveyouseenmary

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I'm a just cause employee and my position was eliminated. However I was given a fair severance package given the current financial situation of the company. Upon review of the agreement I realized that it states that I waive all rights to "unemployment insurance benefits". I had planned to file for unemployment when the severance was paid out. Can a company do that? Should I just sign it and file for unemployment anyway? Right now, I need the money, so I can't really afford to not accept the severance. What should I do? Can the company fight my unemployment claim?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A company cannot force you to waive an unemployment claim; however, if you were fired "for cause" you may not be eligible for benefits anyway.

Yes, an employer can always contest your benefits, just as you can always appeal a denial.

Since your applying for UI *may* invalidate your severance agreement (if it should turn out that you're not qualified and the company knew that) I would have an attorney look at it before filing. I think you'll be okay but I haven't read the agreement as a whole.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">