• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service Contract Act, not hired with new company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kklix

GA.
I work on a Federal facility as a contractor under SCA. Our contract is up in 2weeks, had interview with incoming company and was not selected. Got word incoming company has a supervisor that will be working on the contract and his recently graduated high school son will also be working on the same contract (with no qualifications). What are my options? I have the qualifications for the job as I did it for 2years and have trained several others. I was original offered in the interview another job on this contract but did not get it. I was not offered this job the new hire is filling. Advise....

eerelations

I can't see anything in the Service Contract Act that would require the incoming company to hire you. The Service Contract Act only covers what the incoming company would have to pay you if it chose to hire you.

That said, there are no laws requiring companies - incoming or otherwise - to hire the most qualified candidates and/or to refuse employment to relatives. Ergo, you have no legal recourse.

swalsh411

You are under the mistaken impression that you have more rights than you really do. Nothing in the SCA says a company has to hire the most qualified person for the job.

kklix

You are under the mistaken impression that you have more rights than you really do. Nothing in the SCA says a company has to hire the most qualified person for the job.
Been doing a bit of online research. Would I not be covered under Executive Order, 13495. Nondisplacement of qualified workers under service contracts, right to first refusal? As the company is bringing in an outside (non-incumbant) employee for a position which I am fully qualified for, and was not offered the position.
thanx kklix

OHRoadwarrior

Been doing a bit of online research. Would I not be covered under Executive Order, 13495. Nondisplacement of qualified workers under service contracts, right to first refusal? As the company is bringing in an outside (non-incumbant) employee for a position which I am fully qualified for, and was not offered the position.
thanx kklix
Wow, that cannot be a real gov't order. It makes practical sense and effectively utilizes gov't assets!!! That said, you appear to be in the wrong place to request it be enforced. Good Luck.

Sec. 6. Enforcement. (a) The Secretary of Labor (Secretary) is responsible for investigating and obtaining compliance with this order.

kklix

Wow, that cannot be a real gov't order. It makes practical sense and effectively utilizes gov't assets!!! That said, you appear to be in the wrong place to request it be enforced. Good Luck.
"Wrong place to request it be enforced"? Could you clarify this statement please.

swalsh411

It means you have a very long, arduous road ahead of you if you wish to pursue this. You would start by either hiring an attorney experienced in SCA labor laws or by filing a complaint with the US Dept of Labor.

kklix

It means you have a very long, arduous road ahead of you if you wish to pursue this. You would start by either hiring an attorney experienced in SCA labor laws or by filing a complaint with the US Dept of Labor.
OK< thought it meant something along those lines. Will be filing a complaint with DOL, concerning not being offered a job as per EO13495....

OHRoadwarrior

OK< thought it meant something along those lines. Will be filing a complaint with DOL, concerning not being offered a job as per EO13495....
Sec. 6. Enforcement. (a) The Secretary of Labor (Secretary) is responsible for investigating and obtaining compliance with this order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">