• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DChristian112

What is the name of your state? MN

OK, after I send the written request for reason of termination- say they do not respond.
WHO should I take it up with after this. ( I do not now if they will respond or not, but I am curious).

Is there a department or head of some official that will "make" my previous employer give me a reason?

Does this have to be brought up in litigation?

Is there a formal way to draw this up? Is there a formal way to request?

Please advise.

Bigfoot

Need more info. Were you employed by a government agency, nonprofit organization, small firm, large company, USA based company, international? Were you paid hourly or were you salaried? Was there a massive layoff of other persons also or were you singled out? Did you have previous problems with your immediate supervisor?

D

DChristian112

I was employed by a non-profit organization, a church to be more specific.
I was paid an hourly wage.
I was singled out.
I had no previous problems with ANY supervisor.
I was just terminated with only reason given as such:
"You character is not beneficial to our congregation".
It had nothing to do with attendance, work performance, schedule conflicts, missed days, no insubordination was present, no projects were ever incomplete. I met all deadlines. I have had two reviews, one was above satisfactory, and one was satisfactory. I was suppose to have my raise effective the day I was terminated.

No other reason, no actual grounds given about my termination.
I have requested verbally three times.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can report the failure to respond to the state DOL. Please note that you must request the service letter IN WRITING; they are legally free to ignore verbal requests. Also note that they are free to ignore any written requests that are received more than 15 working days after the termination.

I have no direct experience with Minnesota. However, I have had to supply service letters for employees in another state, and just so that you are aware, unless MN is very different, you should not expect to receive anything stating that you were terminated because on such and such a date you did this, or because such and such a supervisor observed you doing that. At least in the state(s) where I have had to provide service letters, a letter stating that there was a personality conflict (which I assume is what they mean about the character not being beneficial) WOULD have been acceptable.

None of the questions asked by the previous poster have anything to do with whether they have to respond, or to whom to report a failure to respond, with the possible exception of part of the first one. While I do not know this to be true in your state (as I said, I have no direct experience with service letters in Minnesota) the fact that it was a church (as opposed to a non-profit organization in general) MAY (I am not saying WILL) give them an exemption from replying at all. Often CHURCHES (NOT all non-profit organizations) are exempted from following certain employment laws. I do NOT know if that will prove to be the case here. You can call the MN DOL and they will be able to tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">