• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Service Letter Non-Compliance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clb4g9

What is the name of your state? MO

Hi-

I was fired from a large multi-state company about 3 months ago. I had been requesting what amounted to a service letter verbally for about 2 months when I found out about the statute online. (You have a year to request the service letter in MO) I sent my request certified mail return receipt to the manager who hired/fired me, as suggested, and about 15 days later I received a phone call from that manager telling me that my request could not be fulfilled by him and that I needed to fax my request to a lady at HR at the corporate offices in Illinois. My question to you is, is it up to me to fax this lady my request? If I sent my request to the proper manager, shouldn't it be up to him to forward my request to the proper agent who can fulfill it for me? And even if I do fax it to the lady who can provide me with the letter, if I do it by fax, she has no legal obligation to fulfill it, does she?

Beth3

Yes, she is legally obligated to fulfill the request. Just because the HR representive is in Illinois does not absolve the employer of meeting their legal obligations to follow Missouri laws for their employees in that State.

You can get into a pissing contest over who should forward your request to the HR Manager - you or your former supervisor - but if you want your service letter, then send the request yourself. If you're concerned about faxing your request, then send it by certified mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">