• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

malmstorm

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

Hey all, first time here. Question for ya:
I was recently laid off from my job. They actually gave me a 2 week notice, which was VERY cool, despite the circumstance. What my manager told me was that i'd receive 2 weeks severance pay IN ADDITION to the 7 days of vacation that i had not used. Now the corporate office is stating that it can be one or the other, severance or unpaid vacation time, not both. It mentions in the Employee Handbook that SOME states pay both, but i cannot find if that is the case in Minnesota. The corp office is in Texas, so their guidelines may be totally different than MN, but i am getting the run-around nonetheless. I assume they know what they are doing, but at the same time, i don't wanna get the proverbial shaft. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a million!

Ryan

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am unable to find any law in Minnesota making it mandatory to pay either severance or vacation pay. According to the MN DOL website, whether vacation time is paid or not depends on company policy; the question of severance was not addressed at all.

So they MAY have to pay you the vacation time, depending on what the company policy says. They do NOT have to pay any severance unless you have a bona fide contract that guarantees it. Nothing in the law says they have to pay both; nothing in the law forbids them from paying both. It's up to them.

Beth3

Ditto to what cbg said. According to my source, MN only requires the payment of vacation upon separation if company calls for it. (In other words, an employer need only be consistent with their own policy.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">