• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

severance ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmac969

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NC
This hasn't happened to me but curious if there is ever a situation where an employer could retract a severance pkg. after it has been offered.

eerelations

If the employer had offered a severance package to an employee it was laying off for a reason not the employee's fault - such as downsizing, lack of work, bankruptcy, sale of business, and so on - and then, before the employee agreed to accept the severance package, the employer found out about some gross misconduct the employee had recently committed, well yeah, I can see how an employer in this situation would then withdraw the severance package offer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Also in many cases, severance is offered contingent on the employee signing a waiver or release; if the employee refuses to sign the waiver or if the employee violates the signed agreement, the severance can then be withdrawn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">