• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cprybylla

I am in the state of Indiana and was let go from a company on April 4, 2001. My severance is supposed to be 1 week for every year of service. I was originally hired in Dec 89 and left company in Nov 96 and then came back in Mar 99 and was downsized in April 2001. When I was rehired I asked for my seniority and original date of hire, 3 weeks vacation and $salary plus to work 2 days a week from home. I got everything I asked for but never saw anything in writing. I was paid for 3 weeks vacation, got salary and was able to work from home 2 days a week until about 6 months prior to my being let go. They told me they could change this anytime they wanted if they restructured the department and I wanted to keep my job. They also told me that I would only receive 2 weeks severance when I was let go. They don't have anything in writing in my folder that says my date of hire should be dec 89. My supervisor at the time was emailed by me prior to my coming back and I have a copy of that email but there was no written response but she telephoned me and said I had been reinstated with original date of hire. (she passed away before I was let go), her boss also knew of this arrangement and said there was a paper in my file about this and that she spoke to the HR MGR and Payroll manager specifically about this and was told no problem, date of hire will be Dec 89) She was let go about 1yr ago but will sign affidavit stating this. We are talking about 7500+ more than what they are offering currently. Do I have a case and is it worth time and money to sue them, I only have 7 more days to sign and return their letter to even get the 2 wks, I have been to 2 different lawyers, one took 3 days to tell me he had a conflict of interest and by then it was the weekend and I got hold of another lawyer who wants $125/hr plus 10% + costs incurred or $1500 flat rate plug 20% + costs, what do I do? Isn't there anyone out there that will take the case for a percentage of what is recovered after the fact? I am currently unemployed and working parttime as a waittress and applying for jobs during the day. I am not a rich person and any job I am being offered right now is at a 50% pay cut unless I want to go to Chicago and there are no guarantees that I will find a job there making what I made before either. Any suggestions? I am desperate.....

L

lawrat

It's a bit confusing but what I understand is there is no writing but there is performance. This means you have a pretty good case.

go get a labor law attorney and have some fun.

http://www.attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">