• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hmdo96

I was lured to a small firm ($500 million in sales) from a fast track career with a Fortune 20 company. After one year of employment, there was a downsize and my job was eliminated. I was given 4 weeks severance. Do I have any legal basis to ask for more severance, one year due to the current economic condition? Additionally, from what I understand, it takes one month for every $10,000 in pay to find a job and I was paid north of $100,000.

I worked from home in Ohio, my employers US HQ is in Massachusetts and the Corporate HQ is in Canada.

Any help will be appreciated.

B

buddy2bear

You don't just have to take what is offered, you can come back with a counter-offer. After all, they can only say "No." Why not talk to an employment attorney -- you do have a few days. If you can't up the ante on the money, there is always the health care coverage that can be extended and possibly outplacement services to find another job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">