• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is severance negotiable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CindyF

What is the name of your state?GA
I have just been released from a job after about a month of horrific conditions in the dept. It is a start up company, small dept that was in the development stages of hiring a sales force. They fired my boss a month earlier, gave me his responsibilities, hired in a consultant group to help support the developing dept and fired them after 1 week. Then they hired one the contract salesman who was hired to do cold calls from this agency and gave him my bosses position as VP of Sales & Mktg. after only being in the office for 3 days. Needless to say, I was not happy with the way they handled the situation as I was handling all the work, wasn't considered for the position and now have issues of reporting to someone who is not qualified for the position. This new VP has no experience in Mktg whatsoever or been in charge of a dept.

To make a long story short - this new boss was aware that I was not happy with him supervising me and from that point on has made a point to make my life difficult and threatened job removal earlier on (his 4th day there).

I had an issue with his correspondence and communication towards me so I brought it up to HR and had it documented. They were to be addressing it in a joint meeting with us this past Fri. That meeting got moved to Mon. They brought me, I thought under the owness of addressing this situation, and this new boss - indicated that they are doing a dept reorganization and don't need a mktg person of my senior level any more, thus they were going to let me go.

Offered me a 4 week severance but my benefits end at the end of this week.

I feel like they are providing this to shut me up and keep me from filing complaints against the co and the owner. What do you feel the chances are of negot. this severance to make it longer so I can at least find another job without losing everything I own. I took a $30+ a yr cut to take this job based on what they represented my opps would be and what the job was going to entail. That in itself was soooooo misrepresented that it isn't funny.

Words of advice? I have only 6 days left to accept this offer. Also - not sure if I'm eligible for unemployment given the length of employment - 3 months.

BelizeBreeze

Shut you up about what? About bad management? About you working for someone who wasn't as qualified?

You can surely negotiate a larger severence package, but since it's about to run out why would the company even bother.

You have no case for any legal action. You DO have a case to go look for a job and fast.

Beth3

I feel like they are providing this to shut me up and keep me from filing complaints against the co and the owner. You have no basis to bring any legal claims against the company or the owner. Running a business badly is not against the law.

What do you feel the chances are of negot. this severance to make it longer I expect they're slim. They don't have to offer you any severance at all and offering four weeks to someone who's only been employed three months is quite uncommon.

Words of advice? I have only 6 days left to accept this offer. You can certainly ASK for more severence but it would behoove you to be very nice when you do so since they could withdraw the offer of severance entirely.

BelizeBreeze

It always amazes me that most of the IT people I've hired and worked with over the years think they are 'all that'... Makes me want to go back to pumping gas again.

At least then you could get high without the law busting you and life looked a hell of a lot less complicated from under the lift :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">