• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance Package

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vbperez

State; California

I have been notified that my position has been eliminated and my services will no longer be needed as of a certain date (I am still supposed to work).
I have also been offered a severance package based on my years of employment.

A colleague of mine was laid off last year, and was told to stop working as of a specific date, but she was still to remain on the company's payroll for an additional four months AND on top of that received a severance package based on her years of employment.

Do I have a right to negotiate a longer lieu of notice?

What options do I have here?

Thank you:rolleyes:

W

Willlyjo

State; California

I have been notified that my position has been eliminated and my services will no longer be needed as of a certain date (I am still supposed to work).
I have also been offered a severance package based on my years of employment.

A colleague of mine was laid off last year, and was told to stop working as of a specific date, but she was still to remain on the company's payroll for an additional four months AND on top of that received a severance package based on her years of employment.

Do I have a right to negotiate a longer lieu of notice?

What options do I have here?

Thank you:rolleyes:
I wouldn't rock the boat or make waves! Do what you need to do within reason, to appease your employer so you can get the severance package! :)

LeeHarveyBlotto

If you're asking if someone else getting a better deal than you received gives you rights to a better deal, the answer is no.

You can ask for a better deal, your employer is free to negotiate, not negotiate, and/or withdraw the offer of severance entirely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">