• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance package or demotion with same pay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mal415

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Masschusetts:confused:

I have been offered a severance package because my job is being eliminated or another position in the company that is a demotion, but with the same rate of pay. Can I collect unemployment? This has created stressful health issues and I am very uncomfortable at work. They gave me a week to make a decision and said there will never be an opportunity for advancement for me in this company and after nine years I have performed this job without any performance issues they say that I and unable to meet performance expectations. My performance review was a month ago and nothing was mentioned. I am so confused and need advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Masschusetts:confused:

I have been offered a severance package because my job is being eliminated or another position in the company that is a demotion, but with the same rate of pay. Can I collect unemployment? This has created stressful health issues and I am very uncomfortable at work. They gave me a week to make a decision and said there will never be an opportunity for advancement for me in this company and after nine years I have performed this job without any performance issues they say that I and unable to meet performance expectations. My performance review was a month ago and nothing was mentioned. I am so confused and need advice.
They have offered you a transfer to a position with the same rate of pay as you currently have. If you refuse, don't expect to collect unemployment.

Chyvan

They have offered you a transfer to a position with the same rate of pay as you currently have. If you refuse, don't expect to collect unemployment.
Pay is only one of several factors. It depends on just what the job you have now is vs the new position.

You might be an accounting supervisor and being asked to be a janitor.

You might have a day shift job, and they are giving you a different one on third shift.

There can be a whole lot more ways to get UI when the employer CHANGES anything about the job you have now.

They gave you a week to make a decision. If you are seriously considering the UI, get proof of the changes. Also, you can't work at the new job for even a second because that looks like acceptance, and if you quit because you don't like it, then that is treated as you changing your mind rather than quitting because of the adverse job changes. Also, give your employer a chance to be able leave things the way you like them, and be able to prove it.

This can be treated as a discharge/refusal of work or a quit, and you're going to carry a burden of proof to either make it a good cause quit or you refused an offer of unsuitable work.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
With the information available to us, the ONLY correct answer to the question, can I collect unemployment? is, Maybe. Maybe not.

We do not have enough information to make even an educated guess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">