• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this severance package worthy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerb3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My wife recently accepted a job with the State Department working for the Foreign Service. Obviously, we're going to need to move. Since I am a manager, I approached to owner of my company with the news of my leaving letting him know first as a sign of respect. He immediately pointed out that I can do my job from anywhere in the world since I am a web designer and that he wanted me to keep doing my job as best I could. I then informed the General Manager of my news and of what the owner had said. The GM replied with his feeling that if that is what the owner wanted then that is probably what we would do but he did want to consult with some outside consultants. That was two weeks ago and not a word has been spoken. Then today I get an e-mail from the GM with a word doc attached with a checklist of things he wanted me to accomplish and then a note on the bottom of the letter saying that he was going to find a full-time employee to full my position. The owner of the company is currently in China and I feel had very little to do with this decision. The GM is a control freak and can't stand not being able to watch his employees work which is what I think motivated this decision. I know this is a long shot, but can I get a severance package? I sure do feel like I've been fired especially since we were counting on me having this position.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

My wife recently accepted a job with the State Department working for the Foreign Service. Obviously, we're going to need to move. Since I am a manager, I approached to owner of my company with the news of my leaving letting him know first as a sign of respect. He immediately pointed out that I can do my job from anywhere in the world since I am a web designer and that he wanted me to keep doing my job as best I could. I then informed the General Manager of my news and of what the owner had said. The GM replied with his feeling that if that is what the owner wanted then that is probably what we would do but he did want to consult with some outside consultants. That was two weeks ago and not a word has been spoken. Then today I get an e-mail from the GM with a word doc attached with a checklist of things he wanted me to accomplish and then a note on the bottom of the letter saying that he was going to find a full-time employee to full my position. The owner of the company is currently in China and I feel had very little to do with this decision. The GM is a control freak and can't stand not being able to watch his employees work which is what I think motivated this decision. I know this is a long shot, but can I get a severance package? I sure do feel like I've been fired especially since we were counting on me having this position.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You'd have to ask the owner of the company that question. I can tell you that based on my experience, you shouldn't even be considered for a severance package.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are asking whether or not there is a law that will force the employer to give you severance, there is not.

Severance packages are generally not provided in this type of situation. Whether or not you will receive one is entirely up to your employer. You do not have any legal standing to demand one, if that is part of the question.

eerelations

I've been designing and delivering severance packages for 20 years, and it's never occurred to me to offer one to someone who's quitting.

xylene

Let me give you a deeper read.

You bucked the chain of command to sandbag your boss in an effort to not lose your job.

You already have issues with your boss.

mlane58

Let me give you a deeper read.

You bucked the chain of command to sandbag your boss in an effort to not lose your job.

You already have issues with your boss.
And you are reading wayyyyyyyy toooooooooo deep, who peed in your cheerios?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">