• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

severance pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

charlie1111

I live in California and work for a reverse distribution co. Recently we lost app. 60% of our volume to another co. Our GM had a meeting w/all management level associates and told us that the crew would be reduced by app. 60% as well. He stated that this would happen around the first of the year and that some managers would also be leaving. He explained that the co. would offer relocation packages to those who were interested or severance pay to those who were not going to be asked to stay. I recently relocated for the co. to the area I currently live in so this is not an option for me.
I am a salaried,at will employee and have worked with this co. for over seven years. I am not currently under any type of employment contract. Is there anything that dictates what type of severance package is offered? In the event that severance pay is not offered to those who are let go as told is there anything we can do legally?

B

buddy2bear

Severance packages are not "givens," unless you have an employment contract that has not expired and with a severance clause. Companies usually offer severance for several reasons: (1) in exchange for your signing an agreement to hold them harmless for something; (2) in exhange for you signing an agreement not to sue them for anything that might have occurred while you worked there; (3) if you are over 40 years of age; (4) to "buy out" an employment agreement; (5) out of the goodness of their hearts (Ha); and/or (6) feeling bad about losing good employees. The amount, if not "set" in the employee handbook (which is not a contract of employment), is totally up to management.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">