• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrnewso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Wyoming

I was laid off on March 17th. When laid off they sent home a huge packet which I read through and signed - my final paycheck and severance were contingent upon me signing the paperwork. I returned the paperwork March 19th. I received my final paycheck for hours worked, bonus's, and per diem that I was owed, but I still haven't received my severance pay. I have called payroll several times and they never give me a straight answer on why I haven't received it (they have said that they didn't have the paperwork yet, then they said that they are behind, then they said they didn't have the paperwork again). I've called my old boss (we remain on good terms) and he said that the paperwork was sent to them the following Friday (I was laid off along with about 20 other employees, he waited until he had the forms from all of us before sending them off). I know at least 2 of the other employees that got laid off at the same time as me have received their severance pay. It's been almost 3 months and though (like many others) I've been searching for a new job I haven't had much luck. I could really use the money, is there anything I can do to get them to speed it up?

eerelations

Small claims court would be your fastest option. Tell your former employer that if you don't receive your severance pay by X date you will file in small claims court. If you don't receive the severance pay by that date, file the claim. You won't need an attorney, and you can add the court costs to your claim (do this at claim-filing time) - if you win the case (and you probably will), you will probably get the court costs back too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">