• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance Pay & An Employment agreement via Email

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shelbyrosa

i live in oregon and was hired by a company in louisiana. since the majority of our correspondence was done via email, this is also how i received my initial "terms of employment letter" in which my employer agreed to a three month severance should they find whatever reason to terminate my position. the company ran out of money and i was laid off and no severance has been paid. is the email legal and binding or should i have gotten a formal, signed letter. it certainly spells out the terms in clear, concise language. where do i go from here?

B

buddy2bear

My opinion, from the gut --

1. Anyone can send you an e-mail promising anything or nothing.

2. Unless you have legitimate signatures -- electronic or handwritten -- then there is no executed contract.

3. If you go forward with pursuit of payment, since company "ran out of money," chances are you will pay out more than you would get back.

4. You can always file a small claims if what is owed you is within the boundry of small claim's court. However, if you should win, because company "ran out of money," your collection of the award might be impossible or will cost you more than it is worth.

Best bet -- use this as a learning experience.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">