• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance Pay revoked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisaroseb

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was recerntly fired from my job in Human Resources Information Systems/Payroll because my company said that they, "Were afraid I was going to quit and Screw them." In addition, I had a major personality conflict with one of the HR Managers and my immediate suervisor had told me that he 'Had it out' for me. When I was let go, The company granted me severance pay and said they would approve unemployement.

Two days later I got a letter at home saying that my severance pay and unemployement were being revoked because I had deleted software from my company computer and had "Deliberately tried to sabatoge the workings of the department."

My boss let me go at 5:15 -- At the end of the work day and then left shortly after. I was left there with one other employee in the department and felt rushed to clean out my personal belongings. I deleted some pesonal files from my company computer that were not related to work and some Internet "Favorites" that I had set up to help do quick searches for company information but that is it. If I deleted anything that the company needed it was by accident because I was trying to hurry up.

Other than the two reasons I mentioned above for why they fired me, I know that they were more than satisfied with my work and I never had a problem while employed at the company. The office was a very long drive from my home so I was looking for another job but remained loyal to the company while I was there and took pride in my work.

I would like to try to get my severance pay back that they granted me. Do I Have a case?

JETX

"I would like to try to get my severance pay back that they granted me. Do I Have a case?"
*** Nope. Severance pay is a privilege that can be granted or revoked by an employer. In this case, they felt (rightly or wrongly) that your conduct was sufficient to revoke any offer of severance that they might have made.

Also, there is very likely a 'difference of opinion' as to what files you deleted. IMHO, that in itself would be sufficient to cause a 'rethinking' of any offer.

Last edited:

Beth3

I agree entirely with JETX. FYI however, the company can neither grant nor revoke your eligibilty for UC benefits. That decision is made by your State's UC Division.

JETX

And of course, I agree with Beth as to the issue of unemployment compensation.....
but add that the employers latest 'spin' on this could certainly 'incite' them into a more aggressive posture when noticed of your filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">