• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance Pay versus Bonus Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

swhite5870

I recently received documentation from my employer stating I would be losing my job due to reorganization and draw-backs. The subject line of the letter says severance pay but the letter says I will get a bonus if I remain with the company to the very end. This amount is a small amount and I was wondering is severance pay and bonuses the same thing? How will this effect me when I want to file for unemployment? Should I ask that they rephrase the letter?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Neither bonuses nor severance is required by law, so the definition is really up to your employer. Also, what can and cannot affect unemployment is exceedingly state specific. You can probably get a better answer by calling the unemployment commission in your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">