• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance - Reduced international relocation offering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bensavage99

**Texas**

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise on this. I was brought over from the UK in 2001 by my employer as a senior technical consultant. I've recently been informed that due to my performance i'm being laid off. As part of my offer letter they quoted "Your return to the UK will be simarly supported." My relo from the UK to US was 23.5K, no realtor fees. In the time i've been in the US i've purchased a house and more material posessions. I don't know exactly how much they are going to offer me on my return relo but it's going to be sub 10K. In theory my relo to th UK will cost more like 35-40k. Do you think i have a case? Thanks in advance.

HappyHusband

bensavage99 said:
**Texas**

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could advise on this. I was brought over from the UK in 2001 by my employer as a senior technical consultant. I've recently been informed that due to my performance i'm being laid off. As part of my offer letter they quoted "Your return to the UK will be simarly supported." My relo from the UK to US was 23.5K, no realtor fees. In the time i've been in the US i've purchased a house and more material posessions. I don't know exactly how much they are going to offer me on my return relo but it's going to be sub 10K. In theory my relo to th UK will cost more like 35-40k. Do you think i have a case? Thanks in advance.
Any amount that they give you is more than they are required to give you.

JETX

bensavage99 said:
Do you think i have a case?
No. Reason.. the agreement is far too vague to be relied on in trying to determine how much, if anything, they intended when they said your "return.... will be simarly supported.".
So, if you want to spend in excess of $10,000 in legal fees, for a CHANCE at some possible amount, go for it. Of course, one complication would be that you would have to do it from the UK... as your B1 visa will be revoked on your termination... and likely that anyone else would employ you with the risk of the lawsuit.

Your CHOICES of increasing your obligations here (house purchase, etc.) is NOT their fault.... and a 'meal' you should have considered in your decision making process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">