• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance Setbacks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amici53

I have been employed for over 4 years as "Business Operations Manager" for a successful independent restaurant in Colorado. I have worked nonstop during that period. No days off, no vacations, and pretty much "on-call" 24/7. In light of my stellar, self-sacrificing dedication, my employer and I entered into a written agreement which essentially states that if he sells the restaurant, I am entitled to the sum of $10,000.00 in exchange for services rendered.
Long story short, he has sold the restaurant which is named in the aforementioned agreement. He also owns a second establishment (separate corporation), which he still owns.
The second operation had absolutely nothing to do with the severance agreement we signed. He now wants me to remain with him at the other place, in an entirely different work situation, and says that until that restaurant is sold, that as long as he is offering me employment of any sort, he does not owe me anything.
I think this is bull. I have held my temper for the past week or so, because I abhor ultimatums, confrontations, etc., but the fact is, I could bury this guy on any number of "questionable" business practices. I believe that I am entitled to the money he promised me. Is this fantasy on my part?
Do I have any legal recourse, or is this purely an ethical issue? At 55 years old, I am reluctant to chalk yet another error in judgment up to experience.
Thank You.

mlane58

I have been employed for over 4 years as "Business Operations Manager" for a successful independent restaurant in Colorado. I have worked nonstop during that period. No days off, no vacations, and pretty much "on-call" 24/7. In light of my stellar, self-sacrificing dedication, my employer and I entered into a written agreement which essentially states that if he sells the restaurant, I am entitled to the sum of $10,000.00 in exchange for services rendered.
Long story short, he has sold the restaurant which is named in the aforementioned agreement. He also owns a second establishment (separate corporation), which he still owns.
The second operation had absolutely nothing to do with the severance agreement we signed. He now wants me to remain with him at the other place, in an entirely different work situation, and says that until that restaurant is sold, that as long as he is offering me employment of any sort, he does not owe me anything.
I think this is bull. I have held my temper for the past week or so, because I abhor ultimatums, confrontations, etc., but the fact is, I could bury this guy on any number of "questionable" business practices. I believe that I am entitled to the money he promised me. Is this fantasy on my part?
Do I have any legal recourse, or is this purely an ethical issue? At 55 years old, I am reluctant to chalk yet another error in judgment up to experience.
Thank You.
Since we haven't read the agreement (please do not post it here) you should have a local attorney review the agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">