• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

severence/references

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Laidoffinnyc

If received a severence package of 5000 but got hit for withholding taxes on a 7500 forgivable loan, which brought my total severence check to 0, do i have a legal recourse on the firm?

Also, if my new employer checks for references from my old employers and the speak badly of me, do i have any recourse? I was part of a firm-wide "mass layoff".

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1. Probably not. Severance is not mandated by law; they are not under any obligation to pay severance at all.

2. If they out and out lie about you, yes. They can't say you were fired for stealing if you were let go in a mass layoff, for example. But if they express their honest opinion, and the opinion happens to be negative, no. They are entitled to their opionion and they are entitled to express it, even if you don't agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">