• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual harassment and fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wak1973

What is the name of your state? Georgia but had to file in California due to lack of hours worked here. Just moved here.

I recently moved here to Georgia. I got a job and was hired to work in a particular area. The person I had to work with moved file cabinets to stare and made comments about my pants. Also asked on several occassions if we could get some beer while working alone. On a particular day I was to work overtime alone with him and I asked another worker to come in because I was uncomfortable. This person did so. After that person left I was working and the individual that was making the comments to me asked again if we could get some beer and I said I was going to leave. When I went to leave the warehouse door was locked. I asked him to unlock the door and he stopped by the door and looked at me and asked me if I was sure I wanted to leave or stay with him instead. I got him to open the door. The next work day mangament asked me what happened and I told them and was asked to document it. I did so and the file cabinets were moved back. The gentlemen threw a fit and left the job. I was asked by management to unplug his computer and learn his job. They went back and forth telling me that he was fired and that they were going to bring him back. Well they brought him back. They moved me to another area unsure of exactly where they were going to put me. The owner called me in his office and told me that I was wrong for not telling him this and that he was disappointed and now there is uneasy feelings in the office. He basically made me feel like I was at fault. I was told by the office manager that I could no longer talk to my other co worker that I had come in to work with me so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable even on my breaks.

I continued working there and doing what they asked me to do. I even continued working with the guy who was bugging me. I always asked if I was doing a good job or what I could work on to not only the office manager but also the others up front where I was and was told all the way up to a week before I was let go that I was doing great and was going to be running the front store.

A week later, they called me in for my 3 month review and told me that it wasn't working out and they were sorry. I asked as of when and they said at that moment and I left. I looked at the paperwork and it said failure to meet expectations.

I feel as though I was looked at as the trouble maker for having this sexual harrasment thing occur and that is why I was let go. I filed for unemployment but am afraid that I will be declined because of what they put on the paperwork. I didn't have to sign it. When I did my phone interview with California, she didn't want to hear any of the details just the final outcome of the sexual harrassment. I was never written up or anything like that.

What do you think my chances are of getting unemployment? If I am declined can I apppeal it? Should I contact a lawyer?

Please help.

eerelations

I don't know if your claim for unemployment benefits will be denied, however, if it is, you will be allowed to appeal.

You should contact the EEOC about this immediately. Someone else here can provide you with contact information.

Beth3

What do you think my chances are of getting unemployment? Quite good, assuming your employer sticks with the reason they told you that you were being discharged. Failure to meet expectations is not a reason UC benefits will be declined.

If I am declined can I apppeal it? Of course.

Should I contact a lawyer? I doubt you will need any legal help regarding UC benefits but if you believe you were fired in retaliation for complaining about sexual harassment (which seems likely), yes.

wak1973

Still need a little advice

California Department of Labor. Job was in Georgia.

Do you think it would be wise to hire an attorney to prove to unemployment that there was sexual harrassment if I should indeed be declined?

I would like that contact information if anyone has it and would I need to contact Georgia or California? I would assume that it would be Georgia since the employment and my residency is now in Georgia.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">