• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shady owners? help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

forevergreen

What is the name of your state? iowa

my owners have given 2 weeks notice just today that they will be selling the hotel that i work at without any indication beforehand and seem to be avoiding employees at this time.

the hotel will remain under new ownership for a few months before being demolished. so basically i am being fired and then rehired and then fired all within a few months. the two weeks notice before new ownership gives me no choice but to do this.

my question is on advice about unemployment. i want to know if only working a few months for new owners will affect my unemployment pay. or if indeed i will get unemployment at all.

i am still young and do not know the loops and this issue is making me extremely worried as it is extremely hard to find jobs in certain parts of iowa.

F

forevergreen

it's me again..

i should also indicate that when this hotel goes under new ownership it will not be under the same corporate name and will be changed to be run independantly with the new owners. that is my concern with the unemployment pay by the time this place is demolished.

JETX

"my question is on advice about unemployment. i want to know if only working a few months for new owners will affect my unemployment pay. or if indeed i will get unemployment at all."
*** Whether you get unemployment at all depends largely on the facts of the termination, but if as you describe, you should be eligible.

However, any unemployment COMPENSATION that you receive will be affected by any income you receive. Simply, you won't receive unemployment funds if you are working.

In Texas, and probably in your state also, your benefits are determined by all of the employers that you have worked for over a period of years. You would receive benefits normally under your circumstances since you are not quitting your job. Your current employer will probably be assessed for part of your benefits, so your current employment will count towards what you receive. Watch out for attempts to get you to quit. Some unethical employers will do this. If for some reason your benefits are denied, you will be allowed to appeal and present all of the facts. Employees in my experience have a better chance to win than employers, so don't hesitate to appeal. I would contact the department in your state that handles benefits. Usually they are very helpful and will answer your questions. I am not an attorney, but I am an employer.

JETX

savemart55 said:
In Texas, and probably in your state also, your benefits are determined by all of the employers that you have worked for over a period of years. You would receive benefits normally under your circumstances since you are not quitting your job. Your current employer will probably be assessed for part of your benefits, so your current employment will count towards what you receive. Watch out for attempts to get you to quit. Some unethical employers will do this. If for some reason your benefits are denied, you will be allowed to appeal and present all of the facts. Employees in my experience have a better chance to win than employers, so don't hesitate to appeal. I would contact the department in your state that handles benefits. Usually they are very helpful and will answer your questions. I am not an attorney, but I am an employer.
HUH??? Not only is not correct, but it has nothing to do with this case since the writer is NOT in Texas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">