• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shocked! Am I eligible for Unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbseek

State: California
Question: I submitted a letter of resignation to my employer giving three weeks notice. I was let go the next business day and given a final check. Consequently, I've lost 3three weeks of earnings. Am I eligible for unemployment benefits or any other kind of renumeration? FYI, I had just completed 5 months of the 6 month new employee probation and had determined that the agency/position was not a good fit for me. Now I wish that I'd never given the professional courtesy of notice!
Thanks,
Shell Shocked

CourtClerk

Sorry, nothing says that just because you GIVE your 3 weeks notice, that they have to accept it. I doubt seriously that you have an unemployment claim. You quit.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In SOME states you would be eligible for unemployment claim SOLELY for the unworked notice period. It's worth applying - the worst that can happen is that you're turned down. Count on the employer contesting it.

Jcolon515

i dont' know if u found a new job..but i'd sure be calling them asking can i start ASAP. If you gave a 3 week notice and planned on looking for a job in that 3 weeks that's something you never do. I never turn in a resignation till I know I've got something else lined up. Employers these days can tell you exactly that..oh really your leaving?? well how bout you leave now! But we always gotta be courteous now dont we..? jeeez!! :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">